The balmy city of Los Angeles has a lot to offer, from residential courtyards to show-stopping showrooms.
1. Convene at Wells Fargo Center by HOK
A blackened steel-plate stair floating above a platform of IndoTeak engineered white oak defines the third-floor welcome area.
2. Airy Residence by Standard Architecture
A trio of arced portals establishes a sense of transition between the living room and the bar, with an excavated and restored coffered ceiling.
3. The Waterfront Restaurant and Bar by Wanderlust Design
Outdoor seating is delineated by a wall with bamboo insets and a mural by Maxwell McMaster.
4. San Vicente 935 Residential Building by Lorcan O'Herlihy
Balconies overlook the central courtyard from which circulation evolves via the main switchback stairway.
5. Farrow & Ball Showroom by Project Room LA
Custom wood-block posters by Michael Dopp in Farrow & Ball paint are displayed on the walls.
6. Santa Monica College Center for Media and Design by Clive Wilkinson Architects
Weaving inside and out, a ribbon of yellow ties the components of the complex together.
7. Equinox Fitness Club by Retail Design Collaborative
The lounge is separated from the gym proper by a custom screen of glass tubes and steel rods.
8. Hilltop House by FreelandBuck
Decking for the second floor patio is ipe.
9. Apotheke Cocktail Lounge by Christopher Tierney
A 1960s Murano glass chandelier centers the lounge where custom banquettes are inspired by the facing Biedermeier settee.
10. Convene at 777 Tower by Gensler
Outfitted with Blu Dot chairs and Allermuir tables, a lounge is partitioned by a New Era Blacksmiths room divider, with Pulp Studios laminated glass framed in iron and blackened steel.